Due to rapidly rising costs, particularly in the liability insurance area, the National Council, Boy Scouts of America has announced a membership fee increase to $24. This will apply to all youth and adults, and will become effective January 1, 2014.
The last fee increase was in 2010. The change in fees is not related to recent developments in membership standards. Note that the process of reviewing the fee increase began before the debate opened on the standards issues.
Any unit with a December 31, 2013 expiration date or later will be charged at the new rate. Any youth or adults joining this fall will be charged the current pro-rated $15.00 fee.
Many factors have caused this National fee increase:
- Dramatically increased liability insurance costs.
- Increases in Criminal Background check fees.
- Implementation of the latest technology advances.
- Increased administration costs of providing fundraising, membership recruitment, program enhancement, training and other support to local Councils.
Please note that these membership fees, plus a local council serve fee, go directly to the National Office. Local Councils do not benefit financially from these fees, but do receive service in these critical areas:
- Training for professional staff and volunteers
- Maintaining the national training center at Philmont, and developing four year-round adventure bases (Philmont, Northern Tier, Florida Sea Base and the Summit).
- Producing National Jamborees, National Eagle Scout Association, Order of the Arrow National Conferences and National BSA meetings.
- Protecting our youth through an outstanding Youth Protection program, including criminal background checks.
- Coordinating and subsidizing a communication network, to include Scouting Magazine, Boys’ Life, handbooks and all program literature.
- Setting and maintaining program standards and developing new and innovative program initiatives.
- Maintaining a leadership role in the World Scout Conference.
An increase in fees is never a popular move! However, I have been assured that every effort has been made to cut costs, provide strong stewardship and increase fundraising efforts by the National Office.
Thank you for your servant leadership!